Wow!!! We had a rather excellent speaker come in today in the form of Colin McDowell, what a fashion legend. He is an incredibly well respected journalist and fashion historian with such interesting views on fashion history. He said his favourite decade was the 50’s and that there are very few truly brilliant designers out there today, the best being John Galliano, who I have to say i agree with how brilliant Galliano is. His fall 2009 couture collection was simply breathtakingly beautiful taking underwear as outerwear and using it in a less sexually overt way than designers such as Westwood and Gaultier.
McDowell also made me want to be a fashion historian even more, he was just so incredibly passionate about his subject and he had such incredible knowledge, of the sort i can only aspire to have!
This is just a little image montage of a few of my fave garments and fave vintage pieces.
1) 4 vintage belts. 2 in centre from a charity shop. Left hand 20’s diamante belt £70 Hope and Harlequin, Brighton. Right hand: Metal victorian belt £12 ebay.
2) Russell and bromley loafers (tan and black) £125 per pair Camina brogues approx £180 Shoe store, Madrid
3) Original 1940’s lotus black platform shoes, totally ruined but beautiful. £38 Portobello road market
4) Huge 50’s costume brooch John Lewis (bought as present)
5) 50’s costume earrings Brilliant jewellery, Kingston
6) Black sequin jacket £49 Marks and Spencr, Paint Pallete 50’s skirt £32 ebay, red brogues £13 Office
7) Brogues (as before), these brogues are so beautiful and also handmade.
8) Heart print shirt £7.50 topshop, skirt £39 Reiss, Shoes £109 Kurt Geiger, Snakeskin Handbag £25 vintage fair, Huddersfield.
9) (centre image) pearls £10 topshop, lizard skin handbag £4 ebay, brogues (as before) Playsuit £30 topshop- It was this garment that gave me the inspiration for this blog 🙂